Dry and chapped lips can be a big nuisance in everyday life. They are painful and sore when you talk or smile; the cracks may even sting and burn when you eat something sour or spicy. What’s more, chapped lips have an unsightly rough texture and are always peeling off or bleeding.
Our lips don’t contain sebaceous glands to keep them hydrated with natural oils, like the rest of the skin does. Also, the skin on our lips is much thinner in comparison to the rest of our body. This makes the lips more prone to dryness and dehydration. Factors like habitual licking, cold and dry weather, frequent sun exposure, harsh chemical cosmetics or excessive smoking can strip off moisture content, causing the lips to dry out.
Using a commercial lip balm frequently is the most common solution for chapped lips but results stay only a short period of time. And the worst is that the salicylic acid, phenols or menthol contained in the lip balms make the lips drier or may cause allergies on the skin later.
Several natural ingredients present in our kitchens like sugar, milk cream and honey can act as wonderful healing and long-lasting hydrating agents for chapped lips. In this article, let’s talk about honey as a remedy in detail and see how it can help in caring for dry lips.
Is Honey Good For Chapped Lips?
- Honey acts as a natural humectant and emollient by drawing moisture from the air into dry lips and helps retain it within to prevent further dryness.
- It is a rich source of Vitamins B1 and B6 which are essential for proper nourishment of the skin, including lips. These also stimulate new skin cells formation, resulting in softer and more moisturized lips.
- The Vitamin B complex in honey has an anti-inflammatory effect on chapped lips. It reduces the swelling caused by peeling or infections.
- It also contains Vitamin B2 and zinc which nourish the skin and protect the lips from the damaging effect of free radicals.
- It is a natural anti-bacterial and antiseptic which prevents chapped and cracked lips from getting infected by harmful bacteria.
- The Vitamin C in honey provides relief to topical symptoms of chapped lips like peeling, painful sores and bleeding.
- Honey also acts as a mild natural exfoliant to remove dead and damaged skin cells from the surface of dry lips. It unclogs pores and results in fresh, smoother skin cells which make dry lips appear softer.